Message: ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT – Jenny Vaughan

Sunday, May 12th, 2019

 

READ: 

DEVOTIONAL:

One day, a woman fighting cancer woke up and had only three hairs left on her head. “Well, I guess I’ll braid my hair,” she said. The next day, there were only two hairs left. “Well, I guess I’ll part my hair in the middle.” The third day, she woke to find one lonely strand left. “Well, guess I’ll just wear my hair in a ponytail.” The fourth day, she woke to find herself completely bald. “Thank God,” she said. “I was running out of things to do with my hair!”


Attitude is everything. More than any skills we develop, knowledge we gain, or natural aptitude, our attitude dictates our success in life. In fact, Stanford Research Institute reports that a mere 12.5% of our success in life is determined by education and knowledge; the other 87.5% comes from our attitude.


To be truly successful, “You must have the same attitude as Christ Jesus had.” Philippians 2:5 In His attitude toward God, Jesus took a position of submission to His Father’s authority. In His attitude toward Self, Jesus had a posture of humility. In His attitude toward Others, Jesus considered it a privilege to love and serve people.


And as we take a position of submission to God’s authority in our lives, a personal relationship with Him must be our highest priority. “Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord…I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.”  Philippians 3: 8,10


As we take the posture of humility, we gain perspective of God’s plan for our present. “So Jesus explained, ‘I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself.  He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.’” John 5:19


If we truly want to have the attitude of Christ, we will follow his model and seek His will in all we do. In John 6:38 Jesus says, "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.” Our response should be that of the psalmist, “Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” Psalm 143:10


As we consider it a privilege to love and serve others, God ignites in us a passion for people. Hebrews 10:24-25: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."



REFLECTION:

  • What does “attitude mean to you?”

  • How is your attitude a gauge that shows God and others your spiritual maturity?

  • What negative circumstance is causing or has caused you to have a bad attitude?

  • Name three positive things you will focus on to adjust your attitude when those negative thoughts surface.

  • The Holy Spirit gives you power to overcome your bad attitude, regardless of what you have been through in life. How will you allow Him to flow more in you?

“Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” Psalm 143_10 (4).png